I went for a walk today. In order to do so I had to check with my son, draw a map of my route, and take my phone with me. That's because I get lost easily.
And that is because the brain matter affected by my dementia is in the spatial area. What that means, as far as I understand, is that I am confused about direction, time, and place. I can't remember what day it is, let alone the date. I don't keep track of time either. Everything having to do with time and space is foggy and confusing. I am glad that I can communicate, write, and listen.... but don't ask me for directions ; ).
Of course I have a hard time remembering things. That's a given at my age! I am always putting things down and then trying to remember where I put them. But that is a little different from Alzheimer's. I am aware of what I am forgetting. But with the Alzheimer's, I don't realize that I am doing it. My friends and family tell me what I am doing and it is like I am a stranger to myself. Everything that I experience gets muddled and I have to depend on others to tell me what I am doing. That's been the hardest part for me.... accepting that my conception of events, dates, activities, and experiences are skewed.
I pay tribute to my husband who answers all my questions when I get confused and lets me know that its ok. That's true love, and I am lucky to have him.
No comments:
Post a Comment