I have been aware of my confusion for awhile, but it seems that there are new things creeping up that are aggravating. 😒
First, I am not certain about order of operations. What comes first? I don't mean in math, just in every day tasks. I have to stop and think, for instance, whether to turn on the water for my shower. What was automatic is now a step by step process. Okay now I need to get undressed. Ok I am in the shower. Lets see, I guess I will wash my hair, or should I uh.... scrub???....really....!!!!. Not automatic anymore. It is that way with each little chore or decision. I have a bit of a pause and some confusion. I don't think it happens with everything but it seems to creep up with rather mundane stuff. Those actions that were formerly automatic are now a bit more complicated. I can still do them... just have to slow down 😉 and think it through.
My granddaughter keeps my spirits up. She is a cuddly happy girl and my spirits pick up when I hug her and she smiles at me. She has so many expressions, the pouting lip, and the big smile, a smirk, and even a mischievous grin. At four months old, she already communicates with and commands us all!
Reality hit on Sunday when a sister at church asked me what I had. Word has spread in our new Ward. (I am a Mormon, or more properly, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We are nicknamed Mormons because we believe that the Book of Mormon is a holy scripture along with the Bible and we call each other brother and sister because we are all children of God.) Well this sister came up and inquired about my health. I told her that I had dementia and immediately she knew. Turns out she was a nurse. The words came out of her mouth, "early onset" and I started to cry. Most of the time people have no clue but she knew. You see, early onset dementia is a fast killer. 1 - 3 years.
No comments:
Post a Comment