Tuesday, November 12, 2013

It is normal, I am sure, to reminisce when you get older, and when you get this kind of news about your health.  I have found myself thinking about old school buddies, teachers, and other people who have had a profound influence on me - like my own family.  And I have heard from many of you, helping me go over great memories in my life.  I really enjoy that.  It reminds me of the good things.  I have had great friends, learning opportunities, and lots of fun.

Just to list a few:

Church Dance Festivals and Road Shows - I remember the one we did about the founding fathers as kids.  All the girls played their mothers.  The idea was they were normal, sometimes bratty, kids before they grew up.  We had so much fun with that little play.  We had to sing and dance a bit, and that really was the funny part.  We managed to pull it off and gave a great show, whew!

I remember Hillcrest Jr. High Study Hour, when a few of us would play cards together.  Can't remember what we played exactly, but we had fun talking and not studying. (I got most of my homework done at home, late at night.)  I was a night owl.

I remember playing on the JV Volleyball Team at Shawnee Mission West High School - Go Vikings!

I absolutely loved singing in the choir.  I was in choir from 6th grade to 12th grade.  So many concerts and songs and so much fun.  Really good memories!

And of course, those early morning Seminary classes.  That was a scripture study class for Mormons, as we are commonly known.  The real name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  We got up for an early morning class - I think it started at 6am - and studied the Gospel of Jesus Christ before we went to school.  I am not a morning person so it was really hard for me, but I made it through all 4 years!

I grew up in a great place - Overland Park, Kansas.  Incorporated in 1960 with about 28,000 residents it covered 13 square miles.  Now it is over 90 square miles and the population is near 175,000  (2010 census). I hope to go back and visit there, but if I don't get that chance, I want to say HEY! to all my OP friends, wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment