Something happened to me this week...
I've been given the gift of slowing down. I plan to make the most of this gift.At first I did not think of it as a gift. I was devastated to hear the doctor's diagnosis. You see, I am experiencing dementia.
If you don't know anything about dementia, I will tell you what I know so far. It is a symptom of a serious brain condition. There are many conditions that cause dementia. To find out my particular "Brain Disease" I will go to a Neurologist (Brain Doctor) and have further tests. That's all I know for now.
It crept up on me very slowly. I wasn't even aware of some of the things I was experiencing. When I forgot a name or a street, I figured it was normal at my age. (By the way, I am a very young 53.) But my husband didn't miss it. He mostly kept it to himself. I didn't want to hear it, that's for sure. When people would look at me funny I was sure they were the one with a problem. I didn't feel different. I didn't even know that I was doing anything different. I thought, "Man, people can be so judgmental!" (Now there's a good subject for a future post.)
Then some friends sat down with me and expressed their concern. Armed with examples, they kindly let me in on a little secret - "psst, there is something wrong with you!" (For some reason it is easier to hear it from your friends than your husband.) -sorry dear.
I am beginning a new journey. I get to learn something new. Most of all, I get to slow down. No more rushing, hurrying, fretting, driving, stressing.
Kathy, I couldn't believe it when I just read about your condition! I am so sorry. You are right. We all think we forget random things just as a natural sign of aging. Do you know how they determined that you have dementia vs Alzheimer's? A blood test? I will be interested in hearing more from you. Hang in there! I'm praying for you!
ReplyDeleteKeeping writing.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers for you and your family as truly embark on a different journey. You have a gift of writing and I do hope you share it was us as long as you feel like it. Perhaps you'll write some memories of your family history as you've learned to know it or share the joy of being a grandparent.
ReplyDelete